By admin, June 8, 2001
50 year old General Electric 25 ton locomotive rehabbed for volunteer group.
In 2001, a friend and I worked many volunteer hours to restore a 1952 General Electric locomotive for a museum.
When we got the locomotive, we managed to start its Cummins engine, but could not keep it running. Its obsolete “single-disk” fuel system could not be saved. I undertook to find parts to modernize to a Cummins PT pump, a much simpler and more robust injection system. Unfortunately, most Cummins H engines were modernized 30+ years ago, died 20 years ago, and were scrapped 10 years ago, so finding parts was quite challenging!
After a lengthy search in many directions and numerous false starts and set-backs, I accumulated suitable base parts and built a PT fuel pump adapter that works!
(more details to follow)